First Property In Civi Street  

RSS

Will_Farmer
(@will)
Ex-Army Admin
13/09/2017 8:14 pm  

Out of interest how hard is it for families that leave the forces to find housing? I was very lucky myself I moved back in with my parents for a few months. I've often wondered weather families are supported or given priority by councils. Any information or guidance would be handy for Servicemen about to make the transition.

W.Farmer

ReplyQuote
decanus
(@decanus)
Ex-Army Admin
14/09/2017 4:23 pm  

When I left, we were renting privately. 1 bed flat just outside of Southampton for £860 a month inc bills and council tax.

We had been on the register for a council property for roughly 1 year before we could "big" for properties on their website. 

Every month we accumulated "points" that gave you priority over others once you get enough. We weren't bidding for long and we ended up with a nice little two bed flat, with a balcony, drying room and on-street parking for just £520 inc bills and council tax. 

It's definitely worth going on the council because after 3 years of living in the property, you are eligible to buy that property off the council for up to 70% of the market value. It's a sound investment and the only downside is you can't sell it for 5 years. Imagine buying a property for say £50k then selling it for £128k five years down the line.

One more thing I will say is I never received any "special" treatment from the council however if I lived in the next district, I would have been given priority. 

For 50ml E Liquid head over to Veteran Vape for exclusive prices for Veterans.

Will_Farmer liked
ReplyQuote
Will_Farmer
(@will)
Ex-Army Admin
17/09/2017 4:05 pm  

That's interesting, I thought the point the point of www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk was to make sure veterans get priority housing as well as other things.

Sounds like you have a good plan buying it on the cheap though. Great investment!

W.Farmer

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register