Housing  

RSS

Moonwolf
(@ozzy)
01/03/2018 8:09 pm  

Hi everybody, 

I am new to this site, and would like some advice if anyone can give it. I'm a veteran of N.I and the Falklands, and 5 years ago I was finally allocated a 2 bedroomed house for myself and my wife. This was allocated to me after being on the list for many years, and due to my illness and PTSD. I was living in Banbury at the time, and we moved to West Haddon about 20 miles away. I wasn't going to turn that opportunity down after waiting for so long. Anyway, my wife is from Banbury and we have an opportunity to swap like for like and go home to Banbury. Now, the crux of the matter, is the housing company are refusing the swap, as they say we don't need a 2 bedroomed house. Yet, I was given one only 5 years ago. Without going into too much info, I have flashbacks every day, nightmares about 3 times a week, and when this happens, I soak the bed in sweat. Then there is my illness, which requires Morphine, and Hydroxochloroquine, among others to control the pain etc. Hence, I have to sleep in a seperate room. 

Is there anything I can do, or anyone I can talk to, to try and resolve this issue?

I am sorry to have to ask this on my first post, but my wife is very anxious now, and any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Gary

Ski and Jamie R Kennedy liked
ReplyQuote
Jamie R Kennedy
(@jamie-r-kennedy)
Founder & Co-Director at Veterans Network Admin
01/03/2018 8:46 pm  

Evening Gary, firstly, don't ever be sorry for reaching out for support.  That's what Veterans Network is here for, for Veterans to support each other. 

I personally have no experience in your issue, however, let's try and see what other Veterans have to say. 

Bare with us and we will seek some advice. 

Jamie R Kennedy

Ski and Moonwolf liked
ReplyQuote
Ski
 Ski
(@marcus)
03/03/2018 1:55 pm  

Hi Gary,

A very dear friend of mine saw your post and asked me to pass this on to you:

Is your housing run by the council or private housing association? From experience... According to the council you would be entitled to a one bed accommodation because you are one couple. It's worth going through your tenancy agreement and councils t & c for swaps, so call citizen advice nearest to you and explain your house swap issues and health conditions, then make an appointment with them. Take with you all your supporting documents for the house swap, tenancy agreement etc. and they can look at it for you. If it's needed they can investigate, contact and act on your behalf if you let them. Talk to your GP as well and ask him to write a support letter for you, addressed to your "landlord" (council or housing association), also support letter from any other organisations or doctors that could/would be relevant and in your favour. Also I think some solicitors still consult an half an hour free.. Hope this helps a little bit along the way or in the right direction at least. Best of luck /Jo

I hope this helps mate, Best Ski

ReplyQuote
Moonwolf
(@ozzy)
04/03/2018 2:13 pm  

Thanks very much. It's a housing association, and I'm getting all the letters etc together as I speak. Thanks for the advice

Gary

ReplyQuote
Moonwolf
(@ozzy)
06/03/2018 10:41 am  

Update SSAFFA are on the case now and hopefully things will work out. Here's hoping.

ReplyQuote
Stevejack0123
(@jacko)
Member Admin
08/03/2018 8:26 pm  

Fingers crossed.

Ski and Moonwolf liked
ReplyQuote
Moonwolf
(@ozzy)
10/03/2018 10:48 am  
  • Update. Appeal turned down. Saafa can't believe it,and neither can I. Time for plan B. My wife's in bits which is not good,as I'm in a bad place too. 

Ski liked
ReplyQuote
Stevejack0123
(@jacko)
Member Admin
11/03/2018 1:21 pm  

Is your Mrs on our family  support group on Facebook? it's very important that she also has support. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935741556697917/?ref=br_rs  

What have you been advised to do next mate?

Ski liked
ReplyQuote
Moonwolf
(@ozzy)
12/03/2018 10:00 pm  

I'll get her to have a look on facebook. I don't use it personally, but thanks for the heads up. What I have done, is get my doctor to write a letter explaining why I need 2 bedrooms, and I am sending it to Sanctuary housing along with all my medical information. SSaafa have all of this info too. They are writing to the head honcho as well to ask what is going on, as Oxfordshire have agreed to the Military Covenant. So, I'm trying to stay positive and keep taking the tablets lol. Thanks for listening guys.

Ski liked
ReplyQuote
Moonwolf
(@ozzy)
15/03/2018 8:47 pm  

Hi everyone, after full disclosure of my medical records, they have finally agreed, and our nightmare is over. I'd like to say thanks to everyone and also to Ssaafa for being there when I needed them the most. Happy days

ReplyQuote
Jamie R Kennedy
(@jamie-r-kennedy)
Founder & Co-Director at Veterans Network Admin
16/03/2018 7:05 am  

Glad to hear it Gary! 

Onwards and upwards, keep pushing forward. 

Jamie R Kennedy

Ski liked
ReplyQuote
Ski
 Ski
(@marcus)
17/03/2018 6:24 am  

Really pleased for you Gary.  Glad this has worked out for you in the end. 

Best Ski

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register