Management courses  

RSS

Dan c9
(@danclover29)
13/09/2017 6:46 pm  

I have been working in the groundworks/highway maintenance industry since I left the army just as a general labourer/foreman but I am looking to get into the management side of things! I have applied for positions but the positions were apprentice positions so therefore the money wasn't there which is annoying as I really want to take a step up but it seems you have to take a step back money wise to be able to do this! So I was wondering if anyone had any info on online courses that lead to construction management qualifications? Which I could use my Elva's for too? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Tercel Medical Group
(@tercelmedgroup)
13/10/2017 1:18 pm  

I have no idea what the package was, but we did some training for Wilmott Dixon and I met a management trainee who was being paid by the company to work at the same time as being put through a University Degree in construction management - might be worth a punt. 

Alternatively, maybe a Health and Safety of Project Management course might help, which combined with your general labourer / foreman experience could be a route into the industry at a higher level.

If you did military CLM courses, you may be able to get a route onto an online top-up BSc Hons in Management.

ReplyQuote
Tercel Medical Group
(@tercelmedgroup)
13/10/2017 1:18 pm  

I have no idea what the package was, but we did some training for Wilmott Dixon and I met a management trainee who was being paid by the company to work at the same time as being put through a University Degree in construction management - might be worth a punt. 

Alternatively, maybe a Health and Safety of Project Management course might help, which combined with your general labourer / foreman experience could be a route into the industry at a higher level.

If you did military CLM courses, you may be able to get a route onto an online top-up BSc Hons in Management.

ReplyQuote
mwarbor
(@mwarbor)
18/10/2017 7:06 pm  

Hi Dan,

Don't discount positions just because they say "apprentice". Many larger firms advertise apprenticeships for higher level positions, and an apprenticeship is literally a way of describing working whilst training for the job. An example, BT OpenReach engineers do an "apprenticeship" of 1 year and are on £18k.

You can always say no once you get to interview and get an offer! 

I agree with Tercel Medical Group too, what level CLM do you have, I believe the Army Skills offer is still valid in your first few years after discharge (converts CLM into Institute of Leadership and Management qualifications).

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Ski
 Ski
(@marcus)
04/12/2017 9:43 am  

Dan,

Feel free to give me a call to discuss.  I have been in the construction industry for 24 years.  I started out as a labourer/apprentice.  I have done every job from foreman up to project manager and now work as a Quantity Surveyor.

Knowing the area your are in would help as I may be able to put you in touch with employers who would train you as you work or give you guidance on what you want to do once I know your background, skill set etc.

Best,

Ski

ReplyQuote
Gouldy
(@gouldy)
15/04/2019 4:54 pm  

Hi,

I now work in Higher Education. I want to be able to put something back and support veterans.

I wondered, would those of you who have left the forces have appreciated the existence of a degree that could be based on work, or the career you wanted, be around the development of existing leadership and management skills and knowledge, and also include modules that help researching and supporting all aspects of resettlement in civvy life (social networks, family, etc.)? What are your thoughts in me developing such a degree in my institution for veterans or transitioning service personnel?

I welcome your thoughts,

Gouldy

Gouldy

ReplyQuote
Share: