Management courses  

RSS

Dan c9
(@danclover29)
13/09/2017 6:46 pm  

I have been working in the groundworks/highway maintenance industry since I left the army just as a general labourer/foreman but I am looking to get into the management side of things! I have applied for positions but the positions were apprentice positions so therefore the money wasn't there which is annoying as I really want to take a step up but it seems you have to take a step back money wise to be able to do this! So I was wondering if anyone had any info on online courses that lead to construction management qualifications? Which I could use my Elva's for too? Any help would be greatly appreciated 

ReplyQuote
Tercel Medical Group
(@tercelmedgroup)
13/10/2017 1:18 pm  

I have no idea what the package was, but we did some training for Wilmott Dixon and I met a management trainee who was being paid by the company to work at the same time as being put through a University Degree in construction management - might be worth a punt. 

Alternatively, maybe a Health and Safety of Project Management course might help, which combined with your general labourer / foreman experience could be a route into the industry at a higher level.

If you did military CLM courses, you may be able to get a route onto an online top-up BSc Hons in Management.

ReplyQuote
Tercel Medical Group
(@tercelmedgroup)
13/10/2017 1:18 pm  

I have no idea what the package was, but we did some training for Wilmott Dixon and I met a management trainee who was being paid by the company to work at the same time as being put through a University Degree in construction management - might be worth a punt. 

Alternatively, maybe a Health and Safety of Project Management course might help, which combined with your general labourer / foreman experience could be a route into the industry at a higher level.

If you did military CLM courses, you may be able to get a route onto an online top-up BSc Hons in Management.

ReplyQuote
mwarbor
(@mwarbor)
18/10/2017 7:06 pm  

Hi Dan,

Don't discount positions just because they say "apprentice". Many larger firms advertise apprenticeships for higher level positions, and an apprenticeship is literally a way of describing working whilst training for the job. An example, BT OpenReach engineers do an "apprenticeship" of 1 year and are on £18k.

You can always say no once you get to interview and get an offer! 

I agree with Tercel Medical Group too, what level CLM do you have, I believe the Army Skills offer is still valid in your first few years after discharge (converts CLM into Institute of Leadership and Management qualifications).

Good luck!

Ski and Jamie R Kennedy liked
ReplyQuote
Ski
 Ski
(@marcus)
04/12/2017 9:43 am  

Dan,

Feel free to give me a call to discuss.  I have been in the construction industry for 24 years.  I started out as a labourer/apprentice.  I have done every job from foreman up to project manager and now work as a Quantity Surveyor.

Knowing the area your are in would help as I may be able to put you in touch with employers who would train you as you work or give you guidance on what you want to do once I know your background, skill set etc.

Best,

Ski

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register